Tuesday 1 November 2011

Scholarship Statement

I applied for an internal scholarship from my school recently - the form required a personal statement approximating 200 words. It's really too short to make anything out of it - I wrote it by hand and maxed out the provided space even! But here goes; do note the brief and rushed nature of it all. Enjoy. Or maybe not

My name is Abel, and the focus of these very brief lines will be to quickly detail the stories of my life that do not translate into paper and certificates. 
In my heart I am many things - outstanding among them a keen communicator. I've learned it the hard way through life that the people around us often have a extremely vast collective experience. 
It is also notable that tapping such a reservoir is slow and cunning work, and requires more than persistence. This tiny realisation has changed the way I perceive people, and also the way I talk with them. 
This education I receive is but a complement to my lessons outside the classroom and this I know that my formal education will mold my future. When such an opportunity to surround myself with such a curious and social environment is offered, I shan't let it pass me by. 
I can give you an endless list of reasons telling you why I feel I am deserving of this scholarship, but I don't believe it will win it for me. But I know if I stand up and perform to the expectations of the scholarship it will mean something - not to anybody but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment